RESIDENTS had to be evacuated from a block of flats in Bournemouth on Saturday night due to a fire in a kitchen.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a fire involving a toaster on the sixth floor of the property in Christchurch Road, near the St. Swithun's Roundabout. 

The fire service was called to the scene at 6.51pm.

Multiple fire crews attended, and residents were evacuated.

Fire crews from Springbourne, Westbourne, Redhill Park, Christchurch, Poole, Ringwood and New Milton attended.

A command support vehicle from Hamworthy, the aerial ladder platform from Westbourne and a number of officers were also on the scene.

The fire service said the fire was confined to the kitchen. 

No casualties were reported, and the last fire crew left the scene at 8.41pm.

It is understood the fire alarms activated at the neighbouring Premier Inn East Cliff hotel during the incident.