DORSET and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a warning over electric blankets following a house fire in Wimborne this weekend.

Emergency services were called to a property in Allenview Road, Wimborne, at 12.37am on Sunday, May 15, for a fire in a bedroom thought to have been caused by an electric blanket.

Four crews attended from across Wimborne, Poole and Redhill Park, and four breathing apparatus wearers used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire.

Read more: Bedroom fire spread into roof of home in Wimborne

A male occupant of the house suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital.

His condition is unknown.

Following the blaze, Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service have issued the following safety advice surrounding the use of electric blankets:

  • When buying an electric blanket, go to a reputable retailer and make sure the product meets the current UK and European safety standards – for example, BEAB Approved.
  • Always read the manufacturer’s instructions before use.
  • Never use a hot water bottle in the same bed as an electric blanket, even if the blanket is switched off.
  • Unplug blankets before you get into bed unless they have a thermostat control for safe all-night use.
  • When storing an electric blanket, don’t fold it as this may damage the internal wiring. Store flat or rolled up.
  • Examine the blanket regularly for signs of wear and tear – for example, worn or frayed fabric, scorch marks, wires poking through the material, any damage to the flex. If you find an issue, get the blanket replaced.
  • Get your blanket tested by a qualified electrician at least every three years and replace blankets every ten years.