FIREFIGHTERS faced a busy weekend tackling blazes at heathlands, hotels, flats, houses and even a toilet block.

Crews dealt with various incidents in a hectic 48 hours across Bournemouth, Poole and Wimborne.

Six people had to be rescued from a hotel in Bournemouth on Sunday morning following a fire involving a duvet in a communal area.

Nine fire engines rushed to the scene in St Michael's Road shortly before 5am after multiple 999 calls.

Bournemouth Echo:

The hotel, which was not named by emergency services, had been evacuated and crews located the blaze on the top floor of the four-storey building.

An investigation could not establish whether the duvet had been ignited accidentally or deliberately due to the nature of the fire.

Hours earlier crews were called to a house in Wimborne following reports of a fire in a bedroom.

Neighbours described seeing the first-floor room of the Allenview Road property as "engulfed by flames" during the incident at around 12.40am.

The blaze spread into the roof space of the home and it was extinguished using four breathing apparatus and two hose reels.

One man was treated by the ambulance service after suffering smoke inhalation.

Firefighters were back at Canford Heath on Saturday evening just three weeks on from the huge wildfire which devastated a large section of the nature reserve.

Bournemouth Echo: Firefighters on Canford Heath. Picture by Echo Camera Club Dorset member Josh ColeyFirefighters on Canford Heath. Picture by Echo Camera Club Dorset member Josh Coley

The fire service received 78 calls on 999 in just half an hour from around 6.45pm alerting them to flames and smoke rising from the site.

Swift action by crews from Poole and Wareham contained the fire, which was near an electricity pylon.

A town centre road in Bournemouth was closed by police on Saturday lunchtime while fire service personnel responded to reports of a flat fire.

Bournemouth Echo: Fire crews in Bourne Avenue on SaturdayFire crews in Bourne Avenue on Saturday

Group manager Stuart Gillion said the efforts to put out the fire on the fourth floor of the Bourne Avenue premises by the occupant made it a much easier incident for firefighters to deal with.

He said: "There was a lot of smoke from a very small fire because it was plastic. We don’t know what it was at this stage because it has all moulded.

“The gentleman made an effort to put the fire out before he made his own way out before he made his own way out because of the smoke in the flat.

“That made our jobs a bit more swift in terms of response.”

On Friday evening, the fire service was contacted over the public toilets in Poole Park being on fire.

Bournemouth Echo: Poole Park toilet fire. Picture: ExplorizmPoole Park toilet fire. Picture: Explorizm

Two fire engines from Poole Fire Station attended the scene and dealt with the incident at around 8.30pm.