RESIDENTS were “shocked” after a vehicle caught fire in Poole last night.

The incident occurred in Bournemouth Road, Poole, shortly after 7pm when the front of a vehicle parked on a property set alight, causing large flames and plumes of smoke.

A Dorset & Wiltshire Fire Service crew from Westbourne were tasked to the incident at around 7.10pm. A spokesperson said: “On arrival the vehicle was well alight and crews used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire before making safe.”

Police also attended the scene which attracted approximately 40 concerned onlookers and residents.

One witness told the Echo they were returning to a restaurant as a delivery driver when they saw the burning car.

Bournemouth Echo: Remains of car fire in Bournemouth Road, PooleRemains of car fire in Bournemouth Road, Poole

They said: “We didn’t see any people close to the car until the fire engine came. I was shocked because we’re not used to seeing this sort of thing in the Bournemouth area. We thought it may have been set on fire.

“We were just shocked.”

The flames were extinguished soon after fire service arrived and the Westbourne crew returned to their station just before 8pm.

The witness said the charred car remained in place after the emergency services had left the scene.

It is understood the fire was caused by a technical fault in the front engine compartment.