THE fire service will mark gas safety week by raising awareness of the importance of keeping safe from dangerous gas appliances.

This year is the 11th gas safety week, September 13 to September 19, a campaign coordinated by Gas Safe Register, which encourages organisations from across the UK to work together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances.

And Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service will give advice on how to stay gas safe.

Safe and well manager Vikki Thomas said: “Unsafe gas appliances can put your life in danger.

“If you don’t have your annual gas safety check from a registered engineer you could be at risk of fires, gas leaks or carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We recommend that homes with gas boilers, solid fuel burning appliances, such as wood burners, agas and open fireplaces have carbon monoxide detectors as well as working smoke alarms – they really do save lives.”

Jonathan Samuel, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “It’s great to see so many people supporting Gas Safety Week this year to help share important and, in some cases, lifesaving advice about gas safety.

“The last year or so has taught us the vital importance of helping and supporting those in our communities.

“Ensuring people always use a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to work on gas appliances in their homes is a great way to show how we can work together to stay gas safe.”