THE AeroSuperBatics wingwalker of the plane that crashed in Poole Harbour has praised the “incredible skill and quick thinking” of her pilot.

Wingwalker Kristen Pobjoy has commented on the incident for the first time following the ‘successful ditching’ near Sandbanks on Saturday, September 4.

In the post on her Instagram, Kristen also thanked the emergency services, rescue teams and members of the public that helped them out of the water.


A post shared by Kirsten Pobjoy (@kirstenwingwalker)

View on Instagram

She said: “Due to Dave's incredible skill and quick thinking we only sustained minor injuries and are recovering well.

“I’m so grateful for everyone involved in our rescue, including the family that helped us out of the water, RNLI, Poole Harbour staff, Ambulance, Police, Fire, Coastguard and members of the public who were assisting.”

The AeroSuperBatics pilot, David Barrell, managed to successfully ditch the biplane on the water outside of the Haven Hotel in Sandbanks and pulled Kristen from out of the plane quickly.

Kristen added: “I can’t ever express how grateful I am to you Dave, you are one of the strongest, bravest and most inspirational people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Thank you for everything.”

Looking ahead the skilled wingwalker has shared that she is going to get back on the wings despite the crash as flying is her ‘true love in life’.

She said: “I can’t wait to get back up on the wing as soon as I am able to do so. Flying is my true love in life. I feel so blessed to continue to be able to live my dream and I’m excited for what the future will hold.

“I appreciate the lovely messages from every single person that has reached out. Thank you so much.”

The owners of AeroSuperBatics issued a statement earlier in the week thanking the emergency services and members of the public who rescued the pair from the plane.

The company, which is based at Rendcomb Airfield in Cirencester, said the aircraft ‘suffered technical difficulties’ during their air display at the Bournemouth Air Festival.

In a statement the company said: “"Unfortunately, the aircraft was unable to maintain altitude and despite very difficult circumstances, a successful ditching was carried out into Poole Harbour.”

As reported, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch confirmed an investigation had been launched.

It would take the form of a "correspondence investigation" and the report would be published in the next few months, the authority said.