VETS have saved two dogs who ate Gorilla Glue and needed an emergency operation to remove "rock hard" lumps from their stomachs.

Remi and Reeva were taken ill after leaping 6ft feet into the air to reach a sealed pack of the powerful adhesive, which on a shelf at their home.

It happened after the two Spanish Galgo dogs were left alone in the house for only a short time.

Owner Nicky Carter, of Milford on Sea, said: "When we arrived home we were shocked by what we saw.

"There was glue everywhere - in their mouths, on their paws and legs and in their beds. It was really frightening because the glue goes hard when in contact with the air."

The dogs were taken to Seadown Veterinary Services in Hythe, where they were given anti-poison drugs and charcoal paste, which prevents toxins being absorbed into the bloodstream.

They were well enough to play in the garden but began vomiting after eating and received further treatment.

Nicky added: "After couple of days Remi brought up a hard bit of glue but otherwise both dogs seemed fine. However, as the days passed we noticed they were not eating well and rushed them back to Seadown.

"It was hugely worrying, I thought I was going to lose them.”

Radiographs revealed their stomachs were full of a solid-looking material. A chemical reaction inside their bodies had caused the glue to expand.

A Seadown spokesperson said: "Since the dogs are deep chested and their stomachs sit under their ribs, it had not been possible to feel the extent of the obstruction beforehand, but it became clear we needed to operate.

"Both their stomachs were full of rock hard glue that would never have been passed."

Nicky added: "Remi and Reeva took a little time to get over the ordeal. Remi lost a lot of weight and looked like a hat-rack for a while but both dogs have healed beautifully and have made a remarkable recovery.

"I cannot thank Seadown enough, they are the most marvellous of vets.

I would like other dog owners to know our story because whilst accidents can happen, this was completely unforeseen.

"Why Remi and Reeva wanted to jump so high to reach an unopened carton of glue from such a high shelf, we will never know.

"Gorilla Glue will now always be kept well out of sight and in a secure cupboard."