A MAN is due to be sentenced today after he admitted bludgeoning a Bournemouth hotel receptionist to death.

Stephen Richard Cole pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Marta Elena Vento at the Travelodge in Christchurch Road.

Cole, 32, was initially charged with the 27-year-old's murder, however, he denied that allegation and admitted manslaughter at a Winchester Crown Court hearing last month.

As reported, this plea was accepted by the Crown Prosecution Service on the basis of 'partial diminished responsibility'.

The defendant, who was remanded into custody at Ravenswood House Hospital in Fareham, Hampshire, is due to be sentenced today, June 1, at the same court.

Eleven minutes of CCTV footage is set be shown at the hearing and impact statements from the victim’s family in Spain will be read out.

Following Cole's guilty plea to manslaughter, Detective Chief Inspector Jez Noyce, of Dorset Police’s Major Crime Investigation Team, said: “This is an extremely sad and deeply shocking incident where a young woman lost her life in tragic circumstances.

“My thoughts and sympathies continue to remain with Marta Elena Vento’s family.”

As reported, police and ambulance crews rushed to the Travelodge after Miss Vento's body was found in the hotel's foyer area at around 7.30am on December 9, 2020.

Miss Vento, originally from Valencia, Spain, was pronounced dead at the scene. It is understood she had been working the night shift at the hotel before her death.

A short time later at around 8.20am Cole attended the enquiry office at Bournemouth police station and told a member of staff that he had just killed someone. He was arrested and taken into police custody.

When Cole attended the police station he was in possession of a carrier bag, which contained items of his clothing that were blood-stained.

The bag also contained a lanyard and keys that matched the description of items that would have been used by Miss Vento at the hotel.

During police interview, Cole admitted causing her death.

Following an assessment by mental health professionals, he was subsequently detained under the Mental Health Act. Cole is continuing to remain in the care of mental health services throughout court proceedings.

A post-mortem examination on December 10, 2020, indicated that the cause of death was multiple blunt force injury.

The hotel was cordoned off for some time after the incident, while crime scene investigators carried out forensics and other enquiries.