CREWS on their way to tackle a chimney fire in Swanage were delayed by careless parking.

Fire engines were unable to get through a road in the town centre due to a van parked on a pavement.

A spokesman for Swanage fire station said: "We were unable to get to the property because of careless parking.

"Luckily there were no lives at risk this time. Please think where you park and leave enough room for emergency services vehicles to get through."

Crews called to car fire in Bournemouth

The crew left a leaflet on the windscreen of the van warning the owner about his actions.

Emergency services were called at 11.15pm last night and used a roof ladder, a hose reel jet and chimney rods to extinguish the fire.

A spokesman said the fire proved difficult to put out and an inspection is due to be carried out this morning.