ONE of the men arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and rape after two serious assaults in Bournemouth has been released from the police investigation.

Dorset Police were called to the incidents, which took place within hours of each other and left three women injured, on Thursday evening.

One of the women, who was stabbed in the neck, is fighting for life in hospital.

Two men, a 37-year-old from Bournemouth and a 29-year-old from Poole, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and rape.

The 29-year-old from Poole has now been released from the investigation and detectives have confirmed he will face no further police action in relation to the incident.

Bournemouth Echo:

Meanwhile, the other man arrested continues to assist detectives with their enquiries.

Police received a report that a woman, in her 40s,had been stabbed at an address in Maxwell Road, Winton, at around 8.05pm.

The woman was taken to hospital for treatment for serious injuries which police said were not believed to be life-threatening.

A second woman was also injured and taken to hospital for treatment to an injury to her neck, which is not believed to be life-threatening.

It was reported that a rape occurred during the incident.

Then, a second incident – which detectives are treating as linked – occurred in Vale Road, Springbourne, with police alerted a woman had been injured at 11.59pm.

Bournemouth Echo:

Officers attended and located a woman in her 30s with a stab wound to her neck.

She has been taken to hospital with serious injuries and remains in a critical condition.

A search of the area was carried out and the 37-year-old Bournemouth man was arrested.

Detective Inspector Wayne Seymour, of the Major Crime Investigation Team (MCIT), said: “A detailed investigation has been launched into these incidents and enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances of exactly what happened.

“At this time, the incidents are being treated as linked and we are continuing to carry out enquiries to establish whether the arrested man is known to the victims.

“I would still like to hear from anyone who was in the area of either Maxwell Road or Vale Road at the relevant times and saw what happened or was driving in the vicinity and captured anything of relevance on dashcam footage.”

Chief Inspector Alan Setchell, of Bournemouth Neighbourhood Policing Team, said: “I would like to reassure the community that a thorough investigation is underway led by detectives from the Major Crime Investigation Team.

“There will be an increased police presence in the area as officers carry out house-to-house visits and CCTV enquiries while the scene is being investigated.

"We hope this will not cause a significant impact for the community.

“Local officers will be carrying out high-visibility patrols in the area over the coming days and can be approached by any member of the public who has any concerns following these incidents.”