FIREFIGHTERS discovered a “well developed” fire in a bungalow in Bournemouth.

Crews from Redhill Park, Springbourne and Westbourne attended the blaze in Palfrey Road at around 9.45pm on Friday evening.

On arrival firefighters found a well-developed fire in the kitchen. Crews used two sets of breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a ventilation fan to deal with the fire.

Bournemouth Echo:

Despite firefighters getting to scene within four and a half minutes of the call being received by fire control operators, the fire still caused severe damage to the property.

Fortunately, a working smoke alarm activated in the property and alerted the occupiers to the fire and they were able to escape. The cause of the fire is believed to be a chip pan.

And firefighters have warned the public about the importance of working smoke alarms and the dangers of leaving cooking unattended.

Station manager Daniel Perrett said: “The occupants of this property had a lucky escape last night.

Bournemouth Echo:

“They received an early warning to the fire and this enabled them evacuate quickly. I would strongly recommend using a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer when cooking as they cannot overheat. 

“If you must use a chip pan, please take care when cooking with hot oil as it catches alight easily. If you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to reduce the risk.”

One occupant of the property was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital by colleagues from South Western Ambulance Service.