A MINUTE'S applause was held at Beaminster Cricket Club for a much-loved cricketer and staunch supporter of Beaminster Cricket Club.

Tributes have been paid to David ‘Grobag’ Grove, who tragically died of a heart attack at the age of 56.

Cricket enthusiast David travelled to Bournemouth to be in attendance for Beaminster’s last match of the previous season.

David died in March, at the first peak of the coronavirus pandemic and many of David's many friends were unable to pay their respects and say goodbye to the dearly loved man.

He had played for Broadwindsor and Melplash and also stepped in as an umpire at various games in Dorset.

Members of Beaminster Cricket Club decided to pay tribute to him prior to and during the match at the end of last month.

The tribute at Beaminster came after a similar event was held in memory of David at Broadwindsor.

Both teams and the scores of spectators, participated in a minute’s applause.

And members of the club and spectators wore green armbands - a nod to David’s favourite football team, Yeovil Town.

David worked at various factories over the years, his last job being at Tetra Pak, Sherborne.

Chris Park, of Beaminster Cricket Club, said: “I’ve known David my entire life, he was a good friend of mine.

“He lived in Beaminster his whole life and he always in and around the cricket club.

Everyone around the club and the town in general knew him.

“We thought it was the right thing to do, he was a huge part of the club.”

David’s father, John, and his brother, Ian, were both in attendance for the tribute.

Mr Park added: “It was unfortunate we couldn’t win the game for him on the day. But I have to say Weymouth were great with their support, it was very nice of them to get involved.

“It was very fitting that so many people turned up to pay their respects, it really showed how well liked he was in the community.

“I think David’s dad and brother were very touched by the tribute and the amount of people in attendance.”

Because of the nature of lockdown restrictions, many of his friends and fellow residents were unable to pay their respects to David, who passed away in March.

A private family funeral was held.