A “MANIPULATIVE” money-launderer who received thousands in his bank account after a victim was scammed has been spared jail.

Barry Beardall was given £13,000, after a victim was targeted for a fake phone call from a Dubai-based company inviting them to invest in shares.

In September 2016, the victim was told that if he invested money into the company, that shares would be purchased on his behalf, a court heard.

After finding a company-related website that appeared to be “legitimate”, the victim transferred just under 10,000 euros into the account.

Then, 74-year-old Beardall received £13,000 in his bank account, which was sent by him to different parties.

The victim then “came to believe he had been scammed” and reported the fraud in October 2017.

Beardall was interviewed in August 2018, when he said he had no knowledge of the fraud and believed the money had come from someone who owed him money.

Beardall, of Harry Barrows Close, Ringwood, appeared before Southampton Crown Court on Tuesday facing a charge of converting criminal property which he pleaded guilty to.

Prosecuting barrister, Graham Gilbert told how Beardall committed the offence while under investigation from a previous charge for fraud.

He also said £7,000 of the money was sent by Beardall to a suspected fraud company.

In total, he received £3,000 in his account in October 2016, and £10,000 one month later.

Beardall was unable to say why he received the money, while there was no identification of where it came from.

The victim said he had "needed to get money" at the time he was called.

Beardall's previous convictions include a money-laundering offence in 2018.

Defending, Richard Martin argued that Beardall sent the money back to the fraudsters.

A prison would also "struggle to look after him" as he requires carers to give him medication and help him out of bed due to mobility issues.

During sentencing Judge Henry said the money-laundering was "manipulative" and "used to his advantage".

But he added that the prison would be caused "enormous disruption" to care for him and gave him a suspended sentence of two years.

Beardwell was ordered to pay a £2,500 victim surcharge.