A MAN who complained of chest pains and breathing difficulties after an evening out with friends died of amphetamine toxicity shortly afterwards.

John Stephen Watts, of Darwin Avenue, Christchurch, had been out playing darts on January 21, this year, Dorset Coroner's Court was told.

During Monday's (April 27) short hearing, at Bournemouth Town Hall, coroner Brendan Allen opened and adjourned an inquest into the death of the 47-year-old.

The court heard that Mr Watts, a fabricator by profession, had complained of discomfort after returning to his home address.

Giving evidence to the court, coroner's officer Laura Thorne said: "Mr Watts had been out with friends during the evening to play darts.

"He has returned to his home address where he has smoked some cannabis and drunk a bottle of beer.

"He spoke to his partner where he complained of chest pain and difficulty breathing."

His partner then got him some water and the painkiller, ibuprofen, but he became unresponsive, said Mrs Thorne.

She added: "CPR was undertaken at the scene and continued by paramedics but Mr Watts was declared deceased at the scene."

The coroner's court was also told that a subsequent investigation by Dorset Police confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding Mr Watts' death, nor any third party involvement.

A post mortem examination was carried out, and following analysis of toxicology samples an official cause of death of amphetamine toxicity was recorded.

Mr Allen adjourned proceedings until a full inquest, which has been set to take place at the same court on October 12 this year.

In the meantime, Mr Allen said he would be requesting statements from family, police, the drugs and alcohol team and Mr Watts' GP.