A MAN is due to appear in court on Friday to face allegations of causing death by careless driving following the death of an 82-year-old woman in a crash in Christchurch.

Pedestrian Joy Norman died after a collision with a car in Somerford Road at 3.15pm on Monday March 18.

Miss Norman was just 200 metres from her supported accommodation in Court Close when the collision took place.

A 54-year-old Poole man was arrested in connection with the incident and, following an investigation by the Dorset Police traffic unit, he has been issued with a postal requisition to appear at Poole Magistrates’ Court on Friday December 6.

THE family of an 82-year-old woman killed in a collision with a car in Christchurch has paid tribute to "a loving sister, aunt and friend."

Joy Beatrice Lily Norman died at the scene of the collision just 200 metres from her supported accommodation in Court Close on Monday March 18 at around 3.15pm.

In a statement, Joy’s family said: "The family of Joy Norman would like to thank the local community for their flowers and tributes, especially those who tried so hard to save her life.

"A big thank you also to the emergency services and the police family support officers who have been there for us during this sad time.

"We miss Joy so much already. She was a loving sister, aunt and friend. Our family get-togethers will never be the same without her sense of fun and slightly fey character.

"Joy cared for children all her working life and for family, friends and neighbours during her retirement. She is and will be greatly missed."

At the opening of an inquest into her death, Acting Senior Dorset Coroner Brendan Allen heard the collision happened in Somerford Road.

The coroner was told that police inquiries are continuing. The inquest was adjourned until June 24 for a pre-inquest review.

A 54-year-old Christchurch man was arrested on suspicion of motoring offences and has been released under investigation.

He was driving a blue Ford Focus and is believed to have been driving out of a DIY store as Miss Norman walked along the pavement near the Purewell Cross roundabout.

Following the accident a number of members of the public attempted to help Miss Norman.

An air ambulance also landed at a nearby school but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police Constable Jay Griffin, of the Serious Collision investigation Team, said: "An investigation into the collision remains ongoing and I am appealing to any witnesses, who have not already spoken to police, or anyone who may have captured the incident on dashcam to please contact me."