A BUNGLING burglar who left his own bank statements in a pub he had broken into has been jailed for 17 months.

Wayne David Griffin left a carrier bag with statements and letters in his name in The Slug and Lettuce in Bournemouth in the early hours of Tuesday June 19.

He had fled the premises with 16 bottles of spirits valued at around £300.

Griffin, 34, of Upper Terrace Road was sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court after admitting four burglaries and offences of theft, receiving stolen goods and fraud.

At around 1.10am on Monday July 15 a further break-in occurred at Chopatti fast food restaurant in Commercial Road with around £1,760 in cash taken from inside the premises.

Another offence occurred at the Polski Sklep convenience store in Lansdowne Road at around 11.45pm on Sunday July 28. A window was smashed and two men carried out a search of the premises before leaving with cash, alcohol and cigarettes with a total value of around £1,765.

The fourth burglary offence involved a break-in at WHSmith in Old Christchurch Road at around 6.10pm on Tuesday July 30. A computer tablet used by staff was taken from the till area.

Griffin was again identified from CCTV footage of the incidents and was arrested on Wednesday July 31.

The defendant also admitted stealing items from Tesco Express in The Triangle on Tuesday May 28 as well as receiving stolen goods and two charges of fraud by false representation relating to the use of a stolen bank card.

Detective Sergeant Adam Gill, of Dorset Police’s Priority Crime Team, said: "Wayne Griffin was a repeat offender who targeted a number of commercial premises.

"We recognise that burglary offences have a significant impact on local businesses and we are committed to working with traders to ensure those who commit these crimes are brought to justice."

Griffin was jailed for two-and-a-half years in 2016 after raiding The Camel Bar in Old Christchurch Road twice in one night.

He had been captured on CCTV crawling across the dance floor to steal cash.