A motorist who was first at the scene of a fatal crash told a jury how he tried to help.

David Grant-Jones, 49, from Weymouth, was killed in a crash on the A35 Puddletown Bypass on July 14 last year.

The crash happened at the point where the eastbound carriageway narrows into a single lane.

In a trial at Bournemouth Crown Court, Adrian Wojciechowski, 29, and Thomas Russell, 39 are jointly charged with causing death by dangerous driving and serious injury by dangerous driving.

They deny the charges.

It is alleged the pair had been racing before Wojciechowski, driving a white BMW, swerved into the wrong lane and collided with Mr Grant-Jones’ Land Rover Freelander.

Further witnesses gave evidence yesterday, and described the manner of Wojciechowski's driving.

Nigel Robinson was travelling two cars behind Mr Grant-Jones immediately before the crash, with his daughter in the car between them.

Mr Robinson said: “It happened very quickly but I suddenly saw this white BMW on the wrong side of the road.

“My daughter immediately braked. I thought she might have actually been hit. I was incredibly worried.”

Mr Robinson stopped and went to check on his daughter. After seeing that she was ok, he was the first on scene to try to help Mr Grant-Jones.

He said: “I was the first person there so I went towards the car to try and open the door.

“Others were there to help but we obviously aren’t professionally trained but tried to do all we could.”

The presiding judge, Stephen Climie, praised Mr Robinson for his actions: “I’m sure you would have the thanks of everyone at the scene, but thank you in any event.”

Kirsty McCabe said she saw the white BMW and a motorcycle speed past her. The jury previously heard the motorcycle was ridden by Dean Gough. He pulled over shortly before the crash.

Ms McCabe said: “We were going about 65mph. They were travelling very fast, well over 80mph. We thought they were racing."

Siobhan Lennon-Patience, who was in the car behind Mr Robinson, said: “I was driving with my mum as my passenger in the front.

“I suddenly see a car heading towards our lane of traffic. It came out of nowhere.

“I swore repeatedly, which I don’t normally do in front of my mum but it frightened me.”

Another driver, Stephen Wallis, described Wojciechowski’s driving in the white BMW as “aggressive and bullying”.

The jury was also presented with physical evidence regarding paint scrapes and ‘speckle marks’ on Russell’s silver Mercedes, which it is claimed indicated his and Wojciechowski's car had collided shortly before the crash.

A forensic expert, Dr Tina Lovelock, was brought in to present her findings on the evidence, but on cross-examination she said the results were not fully conclusive and the scrapes and marks could possible have come from another vehicle.

The trial continues.