A THUG who stamped on a man's head as his victim lay unconscious in the street has been sentenced to five years in a young offender institution.

Elliot Warren Morgan, who is of no fixed abode, got into a row with his victim in Bar So, Bournemouth sometime between 9pm and 10pm on Saturday, April 20.

The victim, a man in his 20s, then left the bar. However, Morgan found him again outside BH2 in Exeter Road.

The defendant, who is still just 19, punched his victim in the head. The blow was so powerful the man fell to the ground and was knocked unconscious.

But Morgan's attack continued. He kicked his defenceless victim repeatedly before stamping on the man's head.

A friend of the victim intervened and pulled Morgan away. The defendant then ran off.

The victim suffered a bleed on the brain as a result of the attack. He also sustained a number of fractures to the right side of his face, including his jaw bone.

Morgan appeared at Bournemouth Crown Court on Tuesday to be sentenced after admitting inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was also sentenced for separate offences of assaulting an emergency worker at an address in Charminster Road on Monday, April 29 – just days after the initial attack – and assault occasioning actual bodily harm and breaching a restraining order. The second two charges relate to an incident in Bournemouth town centre on May 12.

Morgan was sentenced to a five-year term in a young offender institution. Due to the danger he poses, a judge also ruled that he will serve an additional three years on licence.

Detective Constable Jordan Curtis, of Bournemouth CID, said: “Elliot Morgan was responsible for a vicious attack, continuing to assault his victim as he lay unconscious on the ground.

“It is no surprise that, as a result of the level of violence used, the victim was left with long-lasting injuries.

“We will not tolerate offending of this nature and I am pleased that through our investigation we were able to identify Morgan as being responsible for this attack and bring him before the court.”