A MAN who had the ingredients for gunpowder in his Wimborne home – as well as a detonator fuse, shotgun cartridges and a crossbow – told emergency services he was 'dabbling' in chemicals and armaments.

Kevin Yates has been jailed for four years by a judge at Bournemouth Crown Court this morning after he was convicted of having an explosive substance contrary to the Explosive Substances Act and possessing a regulated substance without a licence under the Positions Act.

The court heard Yates, 60, called the NHS 11 service at 1.20am on Tuesday, February 12 to ask for help with his mental health.

A paramedics called him back less than an hour later.

Yates told the paramedic that he was not happy with his thought processes and was 'dabbling' in chemicals and armaments. Dorset Police were then called.

Officers rushed to Yates' home in Hayes Close.

He told them he had basic household chemical items, a detonator fuse, air rifles, shotgun cartridges, a crossbow, arrows and a number of knives, as well as manuals such as the Anarchists Cookbook.

A cordon was set up in Hayes Lane and nearby properties were evacuated as a safety precaution.

The Army’s bomb disposal team attended and carried out a thorough search of the house. They found items that could be used for making bombs including documents and sulphuric acid, which is covered under the Poisons Act.

A list of the materials located were sent to a laboratory for testing. Chemists from the lab said the chemicals found at Yates’ address, coupled with the fuse, could make a black powder-based explosive substance which would have been sensitive to a spark, friction or impact.

If sealed, such a substance could be ignited to cause an explosion.

Detective Inspector Wayne Seymour, of Bournemouth CID, said: “Kevin Yates stored a large number of items at his home that were not illegal to possess but if mixed together could have put himself and other members of public at risk of serious harm or death.

“I would like to again thank all those residents who were affected while emergency services responded to this incident, particularly those who were temporarily evacuated so we could carry out a search of the address.”