A MAN in his 70s was rugby tackled to the ground in broad daylight by a robber who had followed him for half a mile before stealing £400.

The victim had been asked for spare change by a stranger in the moments after he withdrew the cash at the Lloyds ATM in Southbourne Grove sometime before 9am on Friday, September 20. He refused to give the unknown man any money.

The victim then walked along Beresford Road and into Beaufort Road, where he became aware that someone was following him.

He turned into Kimberley Road and then Stamford Road, some half a mile from the ATM.

There, he was rugby tackled to the ground and pinned down before the man reached into his trouser pocket and stole the cash.

Police investigating the robbery say the offender is described as white and tanned. He is aged in his 20s and is around five feet 11 inches tall.

He has short dark hair and, at the time of the robbery, he was wearing blue jeans and a grey top.

Detective Constable Holly Sexton, of Bournemouth CID, said: “The victim believes the offender was the same man who asked him for change at the cash machine.

"Enquiries are under way to obtain any relevant CCTV footage.

“A second man was in the queue at the ATM at the time of the incident and after using the machine he left in a vehicle.

"I would ask this man to please come forward as he may have important information that could assist my investigation.

“I am also keen to hear from anyone who was driving along Southbourne Grove or the route the victim took immediately prior to the incident and may have captured the offender or victim on dashcam.

"If you have, please contact Dorset Police.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police via dorset.police.uk or by calling 101, quoting occurrence number 55190148446.

The incident follows a spate of crimes related to cashpoints in the Bournemouth area.

On Saturday, September 1, a 22-year-old woman from Cardiff was attempting to withdraw £100 from the cash machine at Bath Hill service station in Bath Road at 3.20am when she was involved in a row with another woman.

The woman allegedly punched her in the face and pulled her hair. During the 'assault', a man in the queue for the cashpoint spotted that the victim's money had been withdrawn but not collected.

It is claimed he took the money before walking off and getting into a taxi. A 21-year-old man is assisting officers with their enquiries.