A RETIRED photographer and librarian died in hospital after slipping in the bath and sustaining severe burns, an inquest heard.

Derek James King, 71, of Holcombe Road, Upton, died at Morriston Hospital in Swansea on Wednesday, August 14.

An inquest into his death opened on Friday at the coroner's court in Bournemouth Town Hall.

The short hearing was told Mr King slipped in the bath before he accidentally turned the hot tap on.

Due to the nature of his injuries he was taken to the hospital in Wales where he died.

A provisional cause of death was reported as multiple organ failure due to severe burns.

The inquest was adjourned until March 24 next year.