THE council has asked people to ensure they do not bury disposable barbecues in the sand at the beach after several children suffered burns to their feet.

Several parents raised concerns following incidents on the seafront in Boscombe last week.

One mother told the Daily Echo her son required treatment from a doctor due to a large blister and he had been unable to walk on it or even put a shoe on for several days.

"I contacted the council about it but they didn't give any sort of apology about it," she said.

"I phoned them because I wanted to make sure it did not happen to anyone else but they did not seem to want to do anything about it."

Councillor Lews Alison, BCP Council cabinet portfolio holder for tourism, leisure and communities, said: “We want everyone to able to enjoy our beautiful beaches safely and we encourage the public not to use them for open fires. We also want to highlight the dangers of covering over BBQ’s and fires with sand as this retains the heat and makes them harder to detect.

"If people do use disposable BBQ’s then we ask they are left on the edge of the sea wall to allow them to cool down and be collected by the cleansing team.’’