ARMED police, firefighters and ambulance crews were called to a Bournemouth town centre pub on Wednesday night after a man barricaded himself in a room and attempted to start a fire.

The multi-agency response, which also included the police dog unit, took place at The George Tapps in Old Christchurch Road at 10.37pm.

Dorset Police were called to a report of a man causing a disturbance.

Armed officers entered the pub due to the danger believed to be posed.

Officers arrested a 22-year-old Bournemouth man on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life and criminal damage.

Emergency service vehicles lined the road outside the pub.

A Dorset Police spokesperson said: "A multi-agency response was put in place with officers attending along with the fire service.

"Due to the threat that was believed to be posed, armed officers entered the premises and arrested a man on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life and criminal damage.

"During the process of being detained, the man – aged 22 and from Bournemouth – sustained injuries and was treated by the ambulance service before taken to hospital for treatment. His condition is not believed to be serious."

Police inquiries are ongoing, including at the scene of the incident.

This afternoon two South West Police Forensics Crime Scene Investigation vans were parked behind the premises.

The pub garden and smoking area is cordoned off both inside the pub and at its entrance from the private car park.

Crime scene investigation officers could be seen conducting inquiries, while a uniformed police presence remained in the pub, which opened to the public as normal this morning.

A spokesperson for the George Tapps said: “An intruder entered the pub just prior to closing time and went into a working area of the business not accessible to the public.  Having refused to leave the police were called to deal with the situation which was concluded swiftly. 

“A small number of customers (three) were in the bar area,  away from the intruder, and left just prior to the 11pm closing time."  

Last night, the ambulance and fire service were called to the pub half an hour after police.

A South Western Ambulance Service Trust spokesperson said: "We were called at 11.09pm to attend this location and our crews treated a male patient and conveyed him to hospital by land ambulance for further care."

A Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said that as Dorset Police was leading on the incident they were unable to provide details, other than five crews attended from Springbourne, Westbourne, Christchurch and Poole following reports of a fire at a commercial premises at 11.06pm. Firefighters left the scene at around 11.40pm.