CARPET cleaning products are behind a chemical scare which led to 11 people being treated in Christchurch on Monday.

Casualties complained of breathing difficulties, dizziness and sickness after a spring clean at an address over the weekend.

Fire crews and paramedics rushed to a Sovereign Housing Association property in Grange Road just after 9.25am.

A spokesperson from the Dorset fire service said two fire crews were sent to a 'hazmat incident'.

"Fire crews attended along with the ambulance service," the spokesperson said.

"Two engines from Christchurch went to the scene, as well as a hazardous materials officer."

Earlier today, the spokesperson said the incident involved "unknown chemicals". However, it has now been clarified that cleaning chemicals were responsible.

Paula Dawson, head of customer contact at Sovereign, said: “Unfortunately some of our contact team were affected by fumes following a carpet clean over the weekend.

"The symptoms were minor - for example some dizziness and sore eyes - but everyone has been seen by paramedics as a precaution and they’ve been released home for the day.

“It only affected a small part of the building, which we’ve closed for the rest of the day, but we expect the office to be open and services return to normal tomorrow morning.”

A spokesperson from the South Western Ambulance Service Trust said paramedics were called just before 9.20am to a property in Christchurch after reports that a number of people felt "sick and dizzy".

"We sent a number of resources to the scene," the spokesperson said.

"Four ambulances and a senior paramedic treated 11 patients with minor injuries at the scene.

"Nobody was taken to hospital."