A MAN was "repeatedly" punched in the face and head by two people who got out of a car as he walked along the road in Bournemouth.

David Hill, 28, was walking with his partner along Holdenhurst Road at the junction with Wellington Road on Friday night (July 5) when he was attacked.

He was left with bruising to his left cheek and a split lip following the incident.

The victim had just met his partner who had finished her shift at the Asda store in St Pauls Road and was walking her home when the incident occurred.

The pair were crossing the road at around 11.15pm, when the driver and a backseat passenger stepped out of a white Toyota Aygo that had just pulled up near them before launching an attack on Mr Hill.

He said he believed his attackers were in their late teens or early 20s.

After the incident, the car headed down Wellington Road.

Mr Hill said: "We were crossing the road at Wellington Road near the roundabout and we were suddenly aware of this car coming towards us and got to the side of the road and the driver and this back passenger just got out and start heading straight for me.

"Then they just started punching me repeatedly in the face.

"The car was full but only two people had got out.

"They only stopped when my partner said 'I've just seen a police car at the petrol station I'll go get them.'"

"At this point, they've all got back in the car and left."

Mr Hill said the incident probably lasted between five and seven minutes and reported it to the police who arrived on the scene around 10 minutes later.

He said a man who saw Mr Hill talking to the police said two occupants from the same car had just stolen his cigarettes and friend's wallet near The Lions Head pub around five minutes before Mr Hill was attacked and also gave a statement to the police.

Mr Hill said: "If there'd been some sort of altercation beforehand (it would make sense) but you just don't expect it. That's why I walk to meet my partner after work as it's a dodgy area and I don't like her walking round there on her own."

He added: "Not long afterwards, me and my partner and looked at each other and thought 'it's time to move'. I've lived here 10 years now and I read the Echo a lot and I hear this sort of thing a lot and it's getting worse round here so we're seriously considering moving because of it."

Dorset Police said: "An investigation is underway to establish the circumstances surrounding the assault, including whether or not it was unprovoked."