A NURSING home in Highcliffe has closed down just months after a police investigation was launched into the unexpected death of a resident.

Newtown House Nursing Home in Waterford Road ceased its care operation despite there being no enforcement action from independent regulators.

The closure of the service offered by Quality Care Group followed a damning Care Quality Commission (CQC) report, which found the home had not addressed a series of regulatory breaches discovered on a pervious inspection to the site.

A spokesperson for the CQC said no enforcement action was taken against the service, meaning it appears the closure decision was taken by Quality Care Group.

As reported by the Daily Echo, inspectors were called in to make an urgent visit in January after two incidents concerning the safe management of medicines and an unexpected death.

On Sunday, January 6, Dorset Police received a report of the death of a woman aged in her 90s at Newtown House.

A force spokesperson said: “An investigation has been carried out to establish the circumstances of the death. At this stage no offences have been identified and Dorset Police are continuing to liaise with the coroner.”

Dorset Police confirmed the situation relating to their investigation remained unchanged.

The CQC confirmed to the Daily Echo that the registration for Newtown House Nursing Home was cancelled on Wednesday, May 15 2019.

After this point it became illegal for care to be provided at the home.

The January inspection delivered an overall rating of 'requires improvement', with the CQC having some areas of concern.

The inspector's published report said: "Risks to people had not always been assessed, monitored or reviewed.

"Medicines were not always administered safely. A person had received an incorrect dose and the persons GP and the local safeguarding team had not been informed. That meant any associated safety risks had not been considered by the appropriate professionals.

"One person had complex symptoms and had medicine prescribed for ‘as and when’.

"There was no protocol in place to ensure the persons symptoms were managed effectively."

The Daily Echo contacted the Quality Care Group to discuss the closure of Newtown House Nursing Home, but at the time of going to print had not received a response.