A MAN died in hospital earlier this month after choking when he was eating.

Robin Dench, a retired company director, was at his home in Alyth Road, Talbot Woods on April 24 when his wife heard him choking.

The 78-year-old was rushed to the Royal Bournemouth Hospital, but died on May 1.

An inquest into Mr Dench's death was opened and adjourned at the coroner's court in Bournemouth on Thursday.

Coroner's officer Ken McEwan said: "Mr Dench's wife heard him choking from the next room and saw him slump forward.

"She called 999 and started CPR. When paramedics arrived, he was in cardiac arrest."

Despite the efforts of the emergency services, doctors at the hospital said Mr Dench was unlikely to ever make a full neurological recovery and he was given palliative care.

A post-mortem examination was carried out. Doctors said Mr Dench died of pneumonia brought on by choking.

A full inquest into his death will take place on February 7 next year.