A YOUNG mum could have blinded a stranger after using her stiletto heel as a weapon in a Bournemouth nightclub, a court heard last week.

Mercedes Eyre lashed out in an unprovoked attack at Canvas in Poole Hill in the early hours of October 21 last year. Her victim, Georgina Scott-Andrews, suffered a wound that has left a permanent scar just above one of her eyes.

Eyre, 28, was sitting down when she kicked out at Ms Scott-Andrews. Her spiked heel connected with the victim's face, knocking her to the floor.

The defendant, who lives in Priory View Road, Bournemouth, then leapt out of her seat and began punching Ms Scott-Andrews as she lay dazed and vulnerable.

Eyre admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm on a first appearance at court. She was sentenced by a judge at Bournemouth Crown Court on Friday.

Rob Welling, prosecuting, said the victim was on a night out with her twin sister Heather and some friends when Eyre launched her attack.

"The victim has no idea how the assault took place, and no memory of it," the barrister said.

"There was some dispute over a table in Canvas and thereafter she remembers coming around in the ladies' toilets with blood pouring down her head and her twin sister crying and hysterical.

"The account comes from Heather, who had been taking a rest from being on the dancefloor and was rather aggressively told by the defendant that the table was booked.

"She moved away, but realised she had left her drink and went back to retrieve it.

"At that point, the defendant became more angry and launched an attack in which she was verbally shouting.

"Georgina came over and suddenly, while sat down at the table, [Eyre] raised one leg and thrust her high-heeled shoe towards Georgina's face.

"There was contact and Georgina fell and slid backwards along the floor. The defendant then punched her to the chest and head multiple times."

The barrister read aloud Ms Scott-Andrews' victim impact statement, in which she said she has been left "fearful" and feels "violated" by the "vile and disgusting" incident. She needed 11 stitches and will be permanently scarred.

"If her heel had been an inch lower, it could have been so much worse and injured my eye, potentially causing blindness," the victim said.

Rob Griffiths, mitigating, said the defendant has little recollection of the incident.

"What she can recall is that there was some sort of altercation and then it 'exploded', in her words," he said.

"There was verbal abuse and she kicked out, trying to get [the victim] away. I'm not saying, of course, that the victim was the aggressor."

Eyre "deeply regrets" hurting Ms Scott Andrews and would like to apologise, Mr Griffiths said.

The defendant, who holds one previous conviction for drink driving, has a four-year-old daughter.

Recorder Don Tait told Eyre that she could have blinded her victim and believes the defendant has a "problem with drink".

"If I send you to prison, you will lose your home and your child would be taken into care or be living with someone else," he said.

"She would have the experience of visiting her mum in prison."

Eyre, who wept throughout the judge's sentencing remarks, was sentenced to 12 months in prison suspended for two years, as well as unpaid work and a rehabilitation activity requirement.

She must also pay her victim £500 compensation.