EMERGENCY services and the Environment Agency were called to deal with a fuel spill that was leaking into the river system near Wimborne.

The spillage, believed to be kerosene, took place close to Mannington Brook and forced the closure of Holt Road throughout Sunday and Monday.

It happened in an isolated, rural area – the nearest properties included an electricity sub-station and a farm. However, Holt Heath National Nature Reserve is less than a mile away.

One nearby resident, who asked not to be named, told the Echo there was lots of activity on Sunday morning but she hadn't been told at that time what was going on.

When the Daily Echo visited the scene, yesterday morning, Environment Agency workers declined to comment, other to say an investigation into the incident was ongoing.

They were continuing with the clean-up, but in a scaled-back manner to the previous day.

A Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DWFRS) spokesman said: "We were called at 8.17am on Sunday by the police as a quantity of fuel had gone into the brook at a location off Holt Road."

Three fire crews attended from Verwood, Ferndown and Poole fire stations.

They were backed up by an incident support unit from Poole.

The DWFRS spokesman added: "Firefighters worked with the farmer to block gullies and culverts using absorbent pads.

"We believe the leak to be a small but unknown quantity of kerosene. Our last appliance left the scene at 11.27am as the Environment Agency had taken over the incident."

Meanwhile, the Environment Agency said: "The Environment Agency has been alerted to an incident and is on site investigating.

"If anyone sees pollution in water, report it to out incident hotline 0800 807 060."

Kerosene is a flammable liquid used in many industries and homes as a fuel for light, heat and power. It is also known as kero or paraffin.

Dorset Police confirmed: "We received a call at 7.55am on Sunday reporting fuel on the road that was leaking into the river system in the area of Mannington near Wimborne.

"The fire service was contacted as well as the Environment Agency and local authority.

"Officers assisted with road closures and left the scene at around 12.30pm."