A DESPERATE crowdfunding effort is underway after a Poole preparatory school closed suddenly without warning.

Independent prep school Buckholme Towers has gone into administration, with receivers due on site today.

According to reports, parents were given little warning about the closure. The news broke late on Friday.

Some have paid school fees in full and now have just two weeks to get their children into alternative schools before the new half term begins, sources say.

One parent Susie Kelly said on Twitter: “My children were pupils at Buckholme Towers Prep from 3-11 years.

“Buckholme was like their second family and played a huge part in making them into the wonderful young people they are today. Unfortunately, it has gone into administration.”

The Echo also understands an emergency meeting for parents has been planned.  

Meanwhile, an online GoFundMe campaign has already started in earnest. This states: “Buckholme Towers school has been running for many years in the Ashley Cross area and has been part of our community.

“Due to unforeseen events, Buckholme is entering administration and the school’s owner wants to wrap up the business.

“But the staff, parents and friends of the school are determined to keep it open and make it work as a not-for-profit organisation to benefit the children.

“We want to make a change and keep it up on its feet.”

It can be found here: gofundme.com/b59awy-buckholme-tower-school-savin

Dominik Kaczmarek, Head of Teaching and Learning at the school said:  “We wish to continue Buckholme’s story by running as a charity, a co-operative between teachers and parents.  

"I have been overwhelmed by the support shown over the past few days by parents and staff, who share my passion and love for the school.  

"I truly believe that this is an exciting opportunity to take Buckholme forward in line with its values and reputation as an excellent, happy, small local school with a real family feel”.  

Buckholme Towers hit the headlines in March 2013 after a fire, caused by an electrical fault, gutted the main building overnight.

No-one was injured, but all 125 pupils and staff were forced to move into the neighbouring church until the main schoolhouse was habitable once again.

The school re-opened in September that year, with a rebuilt roof, new high-tech classrooms and additional employees.

Speaking to the Daily Echo one year after reopening, the then head teacher Ian Robertson said: “The school is doing fantastically well and, sort of on the back of the fire, as it was a bit of a springboard for us and raised the profile of the school.

“While it was a really difficult time for us, we’ve certainly risen from the ashes and have come back stronger.

“Although we’re an independent school and a fee-paying school, our fees fall into the price range of a lot of families within the area and we try to keep it as affordable as possible.”

It opened in 1939, the day the Second World War broke out. Back then there were just five pupils, in the front room of founder Dorothy Murray. The school settled into its Commercial Road premises around 50 years ago. In 2010 it was taken over by Iain Robertson and his business partner Mr Bosence.