AN inquest into the death of a two-month-old baby heard she was "not the victim of any assault or trauma."

Young Nevaeh-Louise Stephenson, who lived at Sunnyside Road, Upper Parkstone, Poole, was confirmed dead at Poole Hospital on February 3 last year, the Bournemouth inquest was told.

Assistant Dorset Coroner Brendan Allen, who praised the way the family conducted themselves throughout yesterday's hearing, recorded an open verdict.

Initially police had arrested both parents on suspicion of murder, but they were released without charge after the post mortem examination, carried out days after their daughter's death, proved Nevaeh had not been the victim of violence in any way.

The inquest heard that Nevaeh's mum, Danielle Stephenson, put her daughter to bed, in her crib, on the night of February 2, 2018.

Nevaeh's crib was in her parent's bedroom.

Mrs Stephenson, who gave evidence alongside her husband, James, at the inquest, fell asleep on the sofa and did not return to the bedroom until the following morning.

After watching television and consuming eight or nine cans of lager over a six hour period, Mr Stephenson retired to the married couple's bedroom.

When Nevaeh awoke for her nighttime feed, he bottle-fed his daughter, but failed to put her back in her crib as planned.

Instead she fell asleep on the bed with him.

When Mr Stephenson woke the next morning he found his daughter face down on the bed, unresponsive and not breathing.

Emergency services were contacted but despite the best attempts of a neighbour, paramedics and doctors, Nevaeh was confirmed dead later that day at Poole Hospital.

Mr Allen told the court: "It is clear from the evidence we have heard that Nevaeh was not the victim of any assault or trauma

"There is insufficient evidence for me to conclude there is a link between co-sleeping and the circumstances in which Nevaeh was found."

However, sounding a warning for other parents, Mr Allen did say: "It is clear that when Nevaeh went to bed, it was both Mr and Mrs Stephenson's intention that after her feed in the night she would go back into her crib afterwards - that didn't happen.

"And in my view that didn't happen because alcohol was consumed during that evening.

"This illustrates in my mind the dangers of being responsible for a child under the influence of alcohol."

But he added: "I stress that there is no evidential link between the alcohol consumed and Nevaeh's death."

A statement from the family, issued through the coroner's officer, said: "As a family we now wish for privacy, to be left alone to come to terms with our grief."

Nevaeh's official cause of death was listed as 'unascertained' by the pathologist.