A WOMAN was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation following a fire in Southbourne.

Firefighters from Christchurch, Springbourne and Westbourne were called to the kitchen fire in Seaward Avenue just after 9pm on Wednesday.

Fire control was made aware that the occupant was still inside the building at the time the blaze was reported.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said advice was given to the caller before crews arrived on the scene.

South Western Ambulance Service said they were called at 9.04pm.

A spokesperson said a woman was transported to Poole Hospital for treatment.

Her condition was not thought to be serious.

The fire was extinguished using two hose reels, four breathing apparatus and one main line.