A MAN found collapsed in a public toilet died of a heroin overdose, an inquest has heard.

John David Ratcliffe, of Grovely Road, Bournemouth, died on July 4, this year, at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital.

On Wednesday, Dorset Coroner Brendan Allen heard evidence from coroner's officer Ken McEwan.

Mr McEwan told the short hearing: "The circumstances are that John Ratcliffe was a known drug user and that on the 4th July entered a public toilet.

"A member of the public saw an elbow under the cubicle door, got no response and 999 was called."

Police and paramedics attended but Mr Ratcliffe, aged 37, was later pronounced dead at hospital.

Detectives carried out an investigation and confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Cause of death, following a post mortem examination, was listed as heroin overdose.

The inquest was adjourned until February 13, next year.