A MAN with a history of attacking police officers is one of the first people in the country to be jailed under a new law protecting staff who work for the emergency services.

Keith Treviss, 52, has appeared before the courts numerous times this year alone.

Last week, he was sentenced to more than six months in prison after punching a PC after an incident at a Bournemouth hotel.

The defendant, who is of no fixed abode, admitted an offence while falls under the new Assaults on Emergency Workers (Offences) Act 2018.

Under the new laws, attackers convicted of the offence face a maximum of 12 months behind bars instead of six.

The law covers police, prison officers, custody officers, fire service personnel, search and rescue services and paramedics.

Treviss was arrested after an incident at The Russell Court Hotel on Sunday, November 25. Police were called to reports a male member of staff had been assaulted at the Bath Road hotel at 4.10am.

It was claimed that the offender had punched the victim before pulling the top off a photocopier and throwing it at him.

The defendant was initially arrested on suspicion of assault and criminal damage.

Later that day, as he was being interviewed by police, he punched a PC several times in the face and head. The officer was not seriously injured.

Treviss appeared at Poole Magistrates' Court on November 26 to admit assault by beating, criminal damage and the assault by beating of an emergency worker.

He was jailed for 26 weeks after magistrates heard he carried out a "deliberate attack on a public servant carrying out public duties."

In February, Treviss was sent to prison for eight weeks after launching into a violent outburst at McDonald's in Bournemouth.

He admitted using threatening words and behaviour and damaging a set of doors during the afternoon incident at the fast food outlet in Old Christchurch Road.

He also admitted assaulting a police constable while being booked into the custody suite at Bournemouth police station later that day.

In June, Treviss was sentenced to a further eight weeks behind bars after attacking a PCSO who was attempting to confiscate his alcohol.

The defendant threw a can of alcohol at the officer and punched him in the face, which caused him to fall off his bike in Bournemouth Square.

Treviss admitted assault and using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear of, or provoke, unlawful violence when he appeared in court.