A HANDCUFFED man who ran from police after his arrest for drug driving was detained by a "brave" member of the public until officers arrived, a court has heard.

Prosecutors allege Darren Russell had taken cocaine in his partner's Vauxhall Vectra shortly before a PC attempted to pill the vehicle over on August 14 2017. At the time of the incident, he was also barred from the roads for the sixth time.

The officer, who was on patrol in a marked car, tried to stop the Vectra after realising it was uninsured.

However, Russell, 32, drove off at speed down Bryanston Road, Bournemouth. He turned right against a 'no entry' sign but found himself boxed in by traffic ahead and the police car behind.

The officer approached Russell, observing he looked "pale and sweaty". The defendant initially gave false details. A roadside drugs test was carried out which tested positive for cocaine.

As a result, Russell was handcuffed and put in the back of the police car. Another police car arrived as back-up, and as the officer was speaking to colleagues, Russell managed to climb out of the car and run away.

He pulled his t-shirt over his head to disguise the handcuffs. However, a passer-by managed to stop him ahead of the arrival of police.

On Thursday, Russell appeared at Bournemouth Crown Court for a sentence for driving without insurance, escaping lawful custody, driving while disqualified and driving while unfit through drugs.

James Kellam, prosecuting, said: "The arresting officer got out of his vehicle to talk to another officer who had attended.

"He turned around and found the defendant had fled. He searched the area for some 15 minutes and found him nearby. The defendant had been detained by a member of the public."

Russell, who has appeared in court on 34 occasions for some 106 offences, then failed a field impairment test. He had unmetabolised cocaine in his bloodstream, indicating he had recently taken the class A drug.

The defendant, who lives in Sedgeway, Oxford, made a "futile" attempt to run off, but was detained by the "brave" passer-by, Judge Peter Crabtree OBE said.

The judge sentenced Russell to four months in prison and a 12-and-a-half month driving ban - the defendant's seventh disqualification since 2004.