A MAN suffered burns and a firefighter was taken to hospital after a blaze at a Poole garage which saw businesses evacuated.

Black smoke could be seen for miles after a chemical incident a premises in Thrush Road, Mannings Heath.

Six fire engines and several ambulance vehicles attended the incident, reported to Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service at 12.20pm.

One man had been working at the industrial unit and was found with burns.

Fire crews poured water over his legs until ambulance crews arrived and took him to hospital.

Workers in nearby businesses were evacuated as a precaution and residents in nearby Broom Road were told to stay indoors.

Bournemouth Echo:

Picture by Nathan Slade

One person from a bungalow in Broom Road was also treated by ambulance crews but it is not known if his condition was directly linked to the fire.

Police closed Broom Road to members of the public until the incident was over.

A total of six fire engines from Poole, Redhill, Westbourne, Ferndown, Wimborne and Christchurch attended.

They used six sets of breathing apparatus, a compress air foam line, one main line and an aerial platform to tackle the blaze.

Fire service group manager Richard Coleman said the premises involved in the fire makes biodiesel, which creates an alternative fuel from recycled vegetable oil.

He said: "The man was involved in this process and something happened which caused a fire in the unit and he now has burns to his lower legs."

Mr Coleman said chemicals used in the process were kept in large plastic containers, which became damaged in the fire.

"We used fire-fighting foams to form a protective layer over the top of the chemicals. We were also concerned about the environment and had to do our best to stop them going down the drain."

A fire service spokesman said: "The building was fully involved in the fire. Two casualties were treated at the scene and one firefighter conveyed to hospital for precautionary measures."

EDIT: The premises involved in the fire is not Courtyard Garage. Information provided to the Daily Echo from the authorities was incorrect. We are happy to clarify.