THE body of a Bournemouth University student was found on campus in a property containing ‘unknown chemical substances’.

Emergency services attended the student village of the university’s Talbot Campus just before 8.10pm following the sudden death of a woman in her thirties at a property in Gillett Road.

Officers from Dorset Police set up a cordon, while fire crews entered the property after being called by police just after 9.20pm. 

Fire crews were requested to attend a ‘chemical incident’, said a fire service spokesperson, and they evacuated the building before ventilating the property..

Picture: Leon Fletcher 

A specialist chemical team from Poole arrived on the scene by 10.20pm and fire crews had left the scene by 11.10pm. A police spokesperson said: “As a precaution, residents of the surrounding properties were evacuated while the substances were removed.”

They added that there were no suspicious circumstances. The woman’s next of kin have been informed and the coroner has been notified.

Picture: Colette Spoard

A spokesperson for Bournemouth University said: "We were made aware of an incident on Thursday evening on our Talbot Campus and can confirm the death of one student, whose next of kin are being informed, with our thoughts and support extended to them.

"Emergency services responded and we are actively working with the police on this matter and making support available for any students who have been affected.

"This was an isolated incident that poses no risk to staff and students on campus this morning."

Eyewitnesses reported seeing police tape across a pathway heading towards the property as well as surrounding the building where the woman was found.

Josh Wilde, 18, who lives on the campus, said: “It was certainly a long operation. 

“I saw two fire officers carrying a big yellow bucket wearing helmets and breathing masks. 

“It’s incredibly sad and my thoughts are with the person’s family.”

Emily Mackey, 18, who also lives nearby, said: “The laundry room downstairs in the building is blocked off at the moment, but the woman would have lived alone upstairs in one of the studio flats. It’s really sad.”

Dan Copping, 19, said: “The fire crews were carrying in small buckets and then took in one big bucket and brought it out again.”