Students have been evacuated after a fire broke out at Bournemouth and Poole College.

Firefighters were called to the North Road site after a fire broke out at the toilets.

A 56-year-old member if staff was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation after discovering the fire on the second floor.

Station manager Julian Lockwood told the Daily Echo eight pumps had been sent to the scene. It is being treated as a deliberate act, he said.

A spokesperson at Bournemouth and Poole College said: “I can confirm there has been a small fire at the Bournemouth and Poole College site on North Road.

"Everyone, staff and students included, have been safely evacuated and the fire has been contained. Thanks to Dorset and Wilts fire service for their speedy response. ”

Morebus has also tweeted that three bus routes have been diverted as a result of the fire.

More follows