POLICE are stepping up patrols in Boscombe after a series of brawls in the area which saw two men injured and three people arrested.

Officers were called to three separate incidents in less than 24 hours earlier this month.

One of the incidents allegedly involved more than 30 people - and saw two men hospitalised.

Deputy neighbourhood inspector Matt Chutter said: “We are investigating three incidents which took place over the weekend of September 10 and 11 involving the night-time economy.

“Officers from the neighbourhood policing team will be working closely with the local authority’s licensing team to ensure all conditions are being met. We are also working with partners and CCTV operators to establish any further lines of enquiry.

“Officers will be stepping up patrols in this area to offer reassurance to the community.”

Boscombe West councillor Jane Kelly said she was “very disappointed” to learn of the events.

“I’m sure the police are doing everything they can to find out exactly what happened,” she added.

“It’s not what we want to see with the regeneration work going on. We just have to try to prevent them in the future.”

Police confirmed they were called at 12.11am on Sunday, September 11 to reports of a disturbance outside The Riviera in Christchurch Road.

A 35-year-old man from Bournemouth was arrested on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon and later released on police bail until the end of September pending further enquiries.

At 1.41am the same day Dorset Police received a further report of a disturbance at the same location involving two groups of people.

“Officers attended and the situation was quickly brought under control and the two groups dispersed. No arrests were made,” a spokesman said.

“No injuries were reported to police during either incident.”

Police were also called to reports of a fight at the Sir Percy Florence Shelley pub at 12.01am on Monday, September 12.

A 56-year-old man was taken to Royal Bournemouth Hospital with injuries to his head and chest and a 71-year-old man was treated for a cut to his forehead.

A 25-year-old woman and a 33-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of assault and released on police bail.