A HOUSE fire which saw a woman and a puppy escape the burning building is believed to have been started by a plug-in air freshener.

Emergency services were called to Druitt Road in Somerford at around 9.15pm on Monday night which led to four crews of firefighters attending the blaze.

The fire is believed to have started in the ground floor of the property, which saw a woman receive treatment at the scene for smoke inhalation.

A spokesperson for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was caused accidentally with investigations focusing on a plug-in air freshener.

Asked what safety precautions people should take when using the fragranced products, the spokesperson said: "As with all items that feed into an electrical supply, it is vital that you only buy from a reputable brand, and you should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

"Such air fresheners should be not be covered up, so plug them in where they are well ventilated. Finally, we would always recommend that you have working smoke alarms in your home in case the worst does happen."

A 28-year-old woman who was arrested on suspicion of arson has been released by Dorset Police without charge.