A DAZZLING display from the Red Arrows and an emotional farewell to the Vulcan rounded off another spectacular year for Bournemouth Air Festival.

Ominous looking grey skies and an early glut of rain looked set to put a dampener on the final day of the extravaganza.

Doubt over whether the Vulcan would even make it to the town loomed, with organisers deciding to bring its appearance forward in a bid to beat the bad weather.

Shortly after 1pm, however, the sun began to pierce through, the clouds started to clear and the gloom was firmly lifted as the Sea Vixen roared across the seafront to mark the beginning of another show-stopping afternoon.

See all our pictures from day four of the Air Festival in a gallery 

Tumbles and turns from the Blades followed before a stunning display from French aerobatics team La Patroille Reva.

A show of precision skill from the Royal Navy Black Cats followed before the solo Matador gave a masterclass in aerobatics.

Seventy years after she came into service, Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress, Sally B, flew into town next.

The nostalgia continued with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the commentator reminding crowds over the loud speakers that the average age of Spitfire pilots in World War II was 22 – and that their life expectancy thereafter was four weeks.

Next came the Red Arrows, shooting across the seafront at hundreds of miles an hour, again prompting practically every spectator on the beach to reach for their cameras.

They did not disappoint. Breathtaking manoeuvres, daring dips and dives, multi-coloured smoke left hanging in the air. The rapturous applause from the watching crowd was as thoroughly deserved as ever.

Then, at 3.30pm, it was the moment everyone had been waiting for. The thunderous roar of the Vulcan is unmistakable – and will not be heard on these shores again.

Watch footage of the Vulcan's final flight in Bournemouth here

“Bye bye rockstar,” the commentator lamented.

“You will be missed.”

The Hawk T2s followed, before an impressive technical display from the RAF Chinooks wowed the crowds.

Last but by no means least was the ear-splitting Typhoon, bringing the day’s flights to a thrilling climax.