A BOURNEMOUTH care home rocked by a fire scare had been deemed ‘not safe’ during an official inspection months before.

Knyveton Hall, a privately run home with the capacity for 39 elderly people on Knyveton Road, was evacuated on February 16 after an electrical fault sparked a fire in a flat at the back of the buildings which spread to the roof.

Twenty-eight people, many elderly residents, were led to safety amid large plumes of smoke.

A damning report published by the Care Quality Commission last month following an inspection in December has revealed there were already concerns about the home’s fire safety.

The report, which described residents as being put ‘at risk of harm’, said there was no evidence the home had followed good practice with regular fire equipment checks.

It continued: “We found that the fire door to the laundry room had part of the intumescent smoke seal missing which meant that the door would have been less effective in preventing the spread of smoke in the event of a fire.

“We also found that the first floor bathroom door was broken. The bathroom contained an electric bath seat and other combustible items. Again, this door would not have been effective in preventing the spread of smoke in the event of a fire.”

Other health and safety issues were identified, including chemical cleaning substances decanted in water left unsecured in a toilet and laundry room, which inspectors said ‘people living in the home could have easily accessed and been put at risk’.

The home had ignored warnings about ‘unsafe and unsuitable’ premises during a previous inspection, according to the report.

It said: “We saw that there were broken windows in the downstairs toilet and kitchen. The broken window had been identified by an environmental health officer some months previously and the home had been given a notice to repair this.

“This may have posed a risk to staff who accessed these areas.”

The report concluded: “We have taken enforcement action against Knyveton Hall Rest Home to protect the health, safety and welfare of people using this service.”