A teenager drank hydrochloric acid after her water bottle was spiked in a school prank.

The drama unfolded at the school, in Jacobs Gutter Lane on the edge of the New Forest, during a Year 11 lesson on Tuesday.

The girl raised the alarm after taking a swig from her water bottle and discovering an unusual taste and smell.

Her female teacher intervened and abandoned the lesson while the girl was sent to the school medical room, assessed and given water to drink.

An investigation has now been launched by Hounsdown School and it is understood two pupils have spoken to about what happened.

A group of boys thought to have been “messing around” in the lesson were questioned.

Tests reportedly showed the bottle was contaminated with the substance but that the concentration of the acid was low.Headteacher Julie Turvey (above) confirmed the school was investigating the incident and the students will be dealt with under school procedure.

She said: “It was reported by a member of staff at the end of the school day that an allegation with regards to a science lesson had been made involving students' inappropriate and potentially serious behaviour.”

The teenager is not thought to have needed follow-up hospital treatment or suffered any sickness.