THE Attorney General is to review the sentence given to one-punch killer Lewis Gill, after dozens of people complained it was too lenient.

More than 40 complaints were made to the Attorney General’s office in just a few hours, asking him to examine the four-year sentence given to 20-year-old Gill.

On their official Twitter account, Dominic Grieve's office said: "Have received a number of requests to review the manslaughter sentence of Lewis Gill. Only takes one request and process now started."

Bournemouth East MP Tobias Ellwood was one of those who contacted Attorney General Dominic Grieve QC and expressed concern over the sentence.

And Justice Secretary Chris Grayling called it a “repugnant crime” and said: “I think most of the public will feel justice hasn’t been done.”

Gill, 20, lashed out at Asperger's sufferer Andrew Young in November last year after the 40-year-old made a racist remark to an acquaintance.

After pleading guilty to manslaughter, he was sentenced to four-and-half years behind bars at Salisbury Crown Court last Friday.

The Bournemouth East MP said yesterday he was “concerned” about the sentence, and had contacted Attorney General Dominic Grieve QC to ask if the case can be re-examined.

Speaking to the Daily Echo, Mr Ellwood said: “I think this is a very sad case, and will see if anything can be done about the sentence.”

Mr Young is the fourth person to die in Bournemouth in just 13 years from a single blow, with the killers responsible for each death sentenced to four years or less for the offence.

The MP said: “I am concerned about the frequency with which this is happening in the Bournemouth area.

“Whether the laws need updating to recognise that these horrible incidents are on the increase could be a factor. It's all very well saying 'I didn't mean to kill him', but people need to be aware that death can be a consequence of a single blow and that law needs to reflect that.”

A spokesperson for the Attorney General’s office said: “The process has started, it will be considered by the Attorney General to see whether he feels the sentence is unduly lenient.

“He has 28 days to make a decision. He could then refer it to the Court of Appeal to consider the sentence.”

Mr Young had exchanged words with Victor Ibitoye, who had been riding a pedal cycle on the pavement in Charminster Road, before he said: “Why don't you go back to the jungle?”

Overhearing, Gill swung a punch at the victim, who collapsed onto the road behind him.

He died the following day, November 7, at Southampton General Hospital following an operation.

Sentencing, Judge Keith Cutler told Gill: “I bear in mind your early guilty plea, I accept there is no premeditated element and provocation does exist.”

He added: “You will have to bear in mind for the rest of your life the fact that you've been responsible for the death of another human being.

“It is a very heavy responsibility and one you will have to manage to cope with.”

Warning: this CCTV footage contains graphic scenes of a violent incident

Mr Ellwood previously called for the sentence handed to sex offender and council official Robert Ian Finlay to be reviewed.

Finlay walked free from Bournemouth Crown Court in August last year after receiving a suspended sentence, despite admitting that he had downloaded 600 child abuse images.

Four victims killed by single punches in 13 years

Clive Wilcox, 42, was killed on Friday, May 4 2001 after an altercation with Daniel Scott, now 33, outside the One Stop shop in Winton.

Scott was jailed for a total of five years and one month for manslaughter and possessing and using a false passport in October last year.

Nathan Ridler, 17, was attempting to stop a fight in Bournemouth town centre when he was killed on February 24, 2008.

CCTV footage showed he had his hands in his pockets when he was attacked.

Jamie Lee Sloane, then 18, was jailed for three years and three months after admitting manslaughter.

Jason Peers, 38, was killed on the same night after being punched in the car park of the Dolphin pub in Holdenhurst Road.

Jeremy Warren, then 30, of Adeline Road, Boscombe, was jailed for three years for manslaughter.

Gill was sentenced to four years for manslaughter, and two three-month prison terms for run consecutively for committing the offence while on a suspended sentence and for handling stolen goods.