PEANUTS caused the death of a New Forest man who suddenly developed a fatal allergy.

Southampton Coroner's Court heard how “gentle giant” John Wild died on Christmas Eve last year after he had gone to Walhampton golf course, where he had worked alongside his brother Graham.

Later that day he fell ill after eating peanuts.

When paramedics arrived, the 29-year-old, who had never suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts before, had died.

Southampton General Hospital pathologist Dr Adrian Bateman agreed with Mr Wild’s parents that it was strange he had not suffered a reaction before, despite eating peanuts all his life.

Speaking after John's death from the family home near Lymington, Mr Wild said: “We haven’t got a clue why it happened. He had very bad asthma as a boy but gradually grew out of it and was virtually clear by the age of 11.

“He went to work as usual, came home and was sorting through his DVDs. When his mother took him a cup of tea he offered her some peanuts and asked when dinner would be ready.

“Graham looked in on him a few minutes later and he was gone.”

Coroner Keith Wiseman recorded a verdict of accidental death.