When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Pirates: Howarth confirmed as first signing
PIRATES chief Matt Ford is tipping Kyle Howarth for big things after making the young Brit the club’s first 2013 recruit.
Ford confirmed that Poole had begun their team building by agreeing terms for the teenage prospect to return to Wimborne Road next season.
Club asset Howarth, who last week won the Queensland under-21 championship Down Under, will fill a reserve berth on a 3.07 starting average as Pirates bid to reclaim the Elite League title they lost to Swindon last term.
A highly-rated prospect, the 18-year-old will again double up with Premier League outfit Workington Comets.
Ford wants to see Howarth continue the progress he showed for Pirates during the 2012 campaign.
Revealing the news to the Daily Echo, Ford said: “We can confirm that, whatever happens, we will be using Kyle Howarth.
“At this point in time, Kyle hasn’t showed his best to anybody because he is a mile from the finished article, but that is what is most exciting about him. There is every chance this guy could go to the top.
“I think he will be fine and that he will do well. Let’s hope we can see another point or point-and-a-half on his average by the end of next season.
“He has got a good attitude and I really like the kid. We have always had a very good working relationship and I think this kid can certainly go on to achieve a lot more in the sport.”
Pirates promoter Ford had previously hinted that Howarth was in line to share a doubling-up berth with local lad Kyle Newman next season.
And despite a change of rules restricting doubling-up places to one rider per position, Ford insists Pirates remain keen to give Newman a chance.
He said: “It doesn’t close the door to Kyle Newman because what will happen is Kyle Howarth won’t be able to ride some meetings and we can use Kyle Newman at that point in time.
“It is a little unfortunate that the shared position (for doubling-up riders) was done away with at the AGM, which means we won’t be able to name the two Kyles in our line-up, but we certainly want to use Kyle Newman for the matches we can.”
World champion Chris Holder is expected to be re-signed as the club’s captain for next season.
And while Ford is remaining tight-lipped on the future of Darcy Ward, the Daily Echo understands Pirates have offered terms to the Australian and are awaiting his response.
Krzysztof Kasprzak remains an option to provide back up to Holder and if Pirates opted to sign the Polish ace, it would free up an additional 1.37 points for team building as he has a lower average than Ward.
New rules prevent Pirates from selecting all three of their big-hitting trio next year.
- Pirates, who are hosting their annual sponsors’ dinner on Saturday, are looking for new support sponsors next season.
For further information, contact the Wimborne Road speedway office on 01202 681145.
Comments are closed on this article.