BOSS Tim Brown insisted his Swanage Town & Herston players had “not let me down” after the club's FA Vase adventure came to an end in Cornwall.

The Dorset Premier League high-fliers suffered an unjust 2-1 defeat at much-fancied South West Peninsula Premier Division outfit Bodmin Town in the first round on Saturday.

In a game which had been postponed seven days previously due to a waterlogged pitch, both sides found the Priory Park playing surface heavy going.

The hosts made the early breakthrough when much-travelled ex-Brighton and Weymouth man Chris McPhee poked home after a goalmouth scramble.

Swans did well to keep it at 1-0 going into the interval but, after the break, the visitors were well on top and inspirational captain Paul Best levelled on the hour.

Both Aaron Atkinson and Perry Mullins had chances to win the tie for Swans but Bodmin snuck through thanks to Ollie Brokenshire’s effort 15 minutes from time to end the visitors’ heroic run.

Brown told the Daily Echo: “We started a little nervously which I expected, given that this was the biggest game for me as a manager and many of the players too.

“Bodmin deserved to take the lead and had us on the back foot in the first half.

"The second half was all us and we absolutely battered a very well organised side that play good football.

“We perhaps didn’t get the result we deserved, but there were plenty of positives to take forward for the rest of the season.

"We had two big players missing in Nat Scott and Cam Beard, which meant we had to mix things up a bit.

“I was so proud of the players as they didn’t let me down and what we have achieved in the Vase this year has been outstanding.”

Victory earned Bodmin a trip to South West Peninsula Premier Division leaders Plymouth Parkway in the second round.

BASHLEY will be hoping to bounce back when they host Alresford Town in the second round of the Sydenhams League Cup tomorrow (7.45pm kick off).

The New Forest outfit were kicking themselves after squandering a 3-1 lead and going down 4-3 at Amesbury Town in Wessex Premier on Saturday.

Three goals in 10 first-half minutes from Kabba Jack, Conor Whiteley and a Lewis Ross penalty saw them cancel out Liam Gavin’s opener for the hosts.

But Bash paid for a combination of slack defending and poor finishing as Amesbury battled back to secure all three points.

Luke Greenaway reduced the arrears on the stroke of half-time before efforts from substitutes Gio Downie and Jordan Matthews in the final five minutes left Bash licking their wounds.

Bash face-off against Alresford at Bashley Road with the victors earning a trip to Hamble Club in the third round.