When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Dons chairman: No Cherries approach for Robinson
MK DONS chief Pete Winkelman says he is unaware of any official approach from Cherries amid continuing speculation linking Karl Robinson with the Dorset club.
Dons boss Robinson is understood to be high on Cherries’ wish-list to succeed Paul Groves, who was relieved of his duties on Wednesday.
Daily Echo sources last night suggested Cherries could be preparing to seek permission from the Dons to speak to 32-year-old Robinson.
But when contacted by the Echo this afternoon, Dons chairman Winkelman said he did not know about reports claiming Robinson was on Cherries’ managerial radar.
When asked if he knew whether there had been an official approach from Cherries, Winkelman added: “There hasn’t been any official approach from Bournemouth, no. Not that I am aware of.”
Since yesterday, bookmakers have slashed the price on Robinson becoming Cherries’ next manager from 66-1 to 5-1. The highly-decorated coach is in his first spell in management and has guided the Dons to the League One play-offs in the past two seasons.
Appointed in May 2010, Robinson, then aged 29, became the youngest manager in English football. At the time, he replaced Cherries boss Eddie Howe as the youngest in the Football League.
Howe, who was first linked with a sensational return to Dean Court when the Echo reported he was understood to be the club’s preferred choice to replace Groves, remains the odds-on favourite.
The 34-year-old, who had been quoted by the bookmakers as a 4-1 shot for the Cherries job, was last night backed in to odds-on favourite, with Skybet still offering him at 2-5.
Cherries chairman Eddie Mitchell today politely declined to comment directly on the Howe and Robinson speculation and also remained tight-lipped when asked if the club had lodged approaches for managers currently in employment.
He told the Daily Echo: “We are doing our due diligence on various candidates and we hope to have someone in place as soon as possible.
“We have got a host of applicants – a real lot of applicants – and they are coming in all the time.”
Meanwhile, Carlisle United boss Greg Abbott has spoken about reports linking him with the vacancy.
“That’s news to me – you’re telling me something that hadn’t even entered my head,” said League One’s longest-serving manager, in an interview with the News & Star.