“Do I not like that...”

Cherries boss Eddie Howe could have been forgiven for uttering the phrase following this ill-deserved defeat.

Opposite number Stuart Pearce was England captain when Graham Taylor said it during a Channel 4 documentary in 1993. Pearce, who missed the controversial defeat by Holland in a World Cup qualifier, led Forest tonight as they claimed a smash-and-grab victory at Dean Court.

Having taken the lead through Callum Wilson and looked on course to rack up a third Championship win of the season, Cherries were left crestfallen as Forest stole the points.

Forest, under the cosh for long periods, netted through Britt Assombalonga and Matty Fryatt to deal Cherries an unjust reverse.

Adam Smith and Junior Stanislas were both drafted in as boss Eddie Howe made two changes to the Cherries starting line-up.

Smith replaced Simon Francis, who was ruled out due to a slight hamstring strain, while Stanislas came in for Marc Pugh, who was named on the bench.

Although chances were at a premium during a cagey start, a tentative opening was merely a prelude to a Cherries-dominated first half.

Howe’s team created a wave of attacks, fashioned a host of goalscoring opportunities and penned the visitors inside their own half for long periods.

A corner count of 11-1 told its own story, as did 10 shots for Cherries and one for Forest, with four of the hosts’ on target, while Lee Camp could have been excused for putting up a shooting stick.

The same, however, could not be said for Camp’s opposite number Karl Darlow, who stood firm behind an overworked defence to keep Cherries at bay.

Darlow’s busy shift started when he blocked a low drive from Smith after the defender, lively throughout the first half, had let fly from a tight angle following a surging run down the right.

Eunan O’Kane fired straight down the Forest stopper’s throat after taking aim from 25 yards following a short corner involving Matt Ritchie and Charlie Daniels.

Ritchie went close to breaking the deadlock when his inswinging free-kick from the right flank came back off the inside of the post with Darlow well beaten.

And after Harry Arter had seized on the loose ball and tried his luck with a rasping drive, his piledriver was charged down by a defender.

Forest were carved open by a slick move which saw Callum Wilson put Ritchie through but the winger, on his weaker right foot, was denied by Darlow’s save.

As the hosts continued to lay siege to the Forest goal, Arter lifted a shot over the crossbar from Cherries’ ninth corner which came in the 26th minute.

Forest finally managed to fashion an opening six minutes before the interval but Britt Assombalonga’s glancing header sailed well wide.

Normal service was quickly resumed when Cherries mounted another attack with Smith thwarted by Darlow at his near post after he had latched on to Wilson’s assist.

Cherries finally scored the goal their rampant play had deserved, the breakthrough coming 13 minutes into the second half.

It owed much to the tenacity of Smith who managed to keep possession on the right flank despite having two Forest players breathing down his neck.

Smith’s persistence led to the ball eventually finding Ritchie with his whipped cross into the danger area causing mayhem.

And a frantic scramble, involving Wilson and Kermorgant, ended with the former Coventry man finishing from close range to register his third goal of the season.

The lead was short-lived, however, as Forest levelled when Assombalonga climbed at the far post to head home Andy Reid’s disputed free-kick after 67 minutes.

Cherries were rocked when Forest took the lead five minutes later, Fryatt clambering over Smith to nod Jack Hunt’s cross into the back of the net.

Pugh, on as a 76th-minute substitute, saw his goalbound effort deflected for a corner before Camp pouched Reid’s grass-cutter.

Cherries: Camp, Smith, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, Stanislas (Pugh, 76), O’Kane, Arter (Rantie, 80), Ritchie (Fraser, 76), Kermorgant, Wilson. 

Unused subs: Gosling, Harte, Cargill, Flahavan (g/k).

Booked: Ritchie, Cook. 

Forest: Darlow, Lichaj, Hobbs, Mancienne, Fox (Hunt, h-t), Cohen, Burke, Reid (McLaughlin, 90), Antonio (Osborn, h-t), Fryatt, Assombalonga. 

Unused subs: Harding, Paterson, Veldwijk, de Vries (g/k).

Booked: Fox, Hunt, Fryatt.

Referee: Kevin Friend (Leicestershire).

Attendance: 10,768 (including 1,340 away supporters).