JUNIOR Stanislas came off the bench to grab a second-half winner as Cherries recorded a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Brentford today.

Summer signing Stanislas was teed up by fellow substitute Ryan Fraser, the former Burnley man netting his first goal for the club after 72 minutes.

A frenetic start saw both teams create presentable chances and both goalkeepers make good saves inside the opening nine minutes.

Matt Ritchie fashioned the first opportunity after just two minutes, the winger firing inches over the top with a left-foot effort.

Andre Gray, Brentford’s summer signing from Luton, rattled the underside of the crossbar following an intricate free-kick move.

Moses Odubajo stepped inside and let fly from just inside the 18-yard box, his stinging shot beaten away by Cherries goalkeeper Lee Camp.

A well-worked corner routine from Cherries almost paid dividends when Charlie Daniels’s delivery was met by Yann Kermorgant, only for Bees goalkeeper David Button to deny the Frenchman with a superb save low down.

Eunan O’Kane’s 25-yarder flew wide of the target before a couple of strikes from Ritchie were deflected past the post, the second inadvertently by team-mate Callum Wilson.

Button spilled a long-range piledriver from Ritchie but James Tarkowski was on hand to beat Wilson to the loose ball and cleared for a corner.

Alex Pritchard lifted a free-kick into the North Stand on the stroke of half-time, one of a number of curious decisions from referee Gavin Ward in the opening period.

Odubajo’s surge down the right flank created a chance for Alan Judge early in the second half but his shot crept just past the upright.

O’Kane cut out a pass from Gray which would have sent Pritchard free after the Bees had mounted a swift break following a Cherries corner.

The visitors had an escape when Bidwell cleared off the line from Wilson, the striker seizing on the loose ball after Kermorgant had outjumped Button to meet Pugh’s cross.

Kermorgant then arrived at the far post to apply a thumping header to Wilson’s cross, his effort striking a defender before Jonathan Douglas clipped a shot over the crossbar.

Camp scampered across his line to punch Pritchard’s free-kick for a corner before the Cherries goalkeeper dived full length to his right to push Judge’s shot around the post.

Substitutes Fraser and Stanislas combined to unlock the Bees defence after 72 minutes with the former Burnley man sweeping home the Scotsman’s cross at the far post.

Camp got down smartly to parry another effort from Pritchard before Tommy Elphick did well to cut out Judge’s centre which flashed across the face of the goalmouth.

Douglas headed Alan McCormack’s centre narrowly over the crossbar in the closing stages with Cherries running down the clock to record their second win of the season.

Cherries: Camp, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, Ritchie (Fraser, 65), O’Kane, Arter (Gosling, 83), Pugh (Stanislas, 65), Kermorgant, Wilson. Unused subs: Rantie, Harte, Smith, Flahavan (g/k).

Booked: Kermorgant.

Bees: Button, McCormack, Craig, Tarkowski, Bidwell, Odubajo (Smith, 80), Tebar (Dallas, 60), Douglas, Pritchard, Judge, Gray (Proschwitz, 80). Unused subs: Dean, Diagouraga, Moore, Lee (g/k).

Booked: Tarkowski, Craig, McCormack.

Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey).

Attendance: 10,114 (including 1,392 away supporters).